11/06/2018

Houdini



                                                                       




He remembers Harry Houdini.

When I was a boy, twelve years old, I witnessed one of his daring escapes.

His assistants tied him with iron cuffs  and chains and threw him in the river.  Everyone was waiting, impatiently,  on the quayside. It was a day in winter, they had to clear the ice, in that part of the harbour.  I had to push my way through the crowd.

I kept my hand above my eyes and searched the water.  First I see a head floating on the water. Then he raises his arm. His hand waves at us.

The crowd cheers. I look at a man standing beside me. We both admire the trust we have in Harry. People laugh. The men throw their hats and caps in the air.

I think this event confirmed my childish belief in heaven. Later I realized that if you can free your hands you can redeem yourself.


                                                                          




You Tube

No comments:

Post a Comment