16/08/2018

Marinus van der Lubbe





I remember my childhood, as if it had been experienced by someone else. Someone I barely know,  I remember a fire.

They kicked me and beat me. But fortunately they didn't know who I was, so they didn’t know where they could  hurt me.

My stomach is empty.  My heart is like a dark, deserted room. My head is
rocking.

I wonder who they are talking about. The public prosecutor is raising such a hue and cry.

I felt better in my cell. I counted the bricks. The walls reflected my words and I replied to them. I could see I was the one who was speaking.  With every word I breathed.

Those people around me invent me on the spot.

But someone has got to take the blame.

“Give me Thy Guilt, I beg Thee.
 I am but an orphan. Who is my Father? Am I his Son?
 I’ll take the blame, because I understand guilt.  I feel it.“

A strange, cruel smile stuck on his face.

 A court assistant reads my statement. Words written years ago.

“There are no stars. There is only their light travelling towards us. 
I wanted to light a fire. A bonfire. A fire, visible to all.
A fire that dwelleth in the eyes of all men, so that they may see the night and the stars.”

It may be cold in my cell, but I feel good there, damn well, despite the beatings.  What fire awaits me? The Purgatory or Heaven? Hellfire?





Opening of the trial. YouTube


 [85 years ago Marinus van der Lubbe  was executed for setting fire to the building of the Reichstag ]

   


   












No comments:

Post a Comment