16/10/2018

Girl on zebra (in homage to May Vandermark)


                          May Vandermark with her zebra - 1920s - Ringling Bros Circus





Last night I dreamt of a girl on a zebra.  I didn’t sleep much that night, but  I can assure you  there was joy in this dream.  You want proof : the smile that adorned my face when I looked in the mirror in the morning.

I saw a zebra  galloping through the streets.  I heard a zebra galloping through the streets.  I remember that  I wondered if there was a circus in town that rented zebras to young girls.  You must admit,  it’s a fair question.  An ordinary question,  but I am an ordinary person, though  I admit a dusty spirit.  As far as young girls are concerned, I am a fool.  I saw her go and thought : go follow her.

In  a park the zebra took a break,  thank God, I was gasping for air. While he chewed on some birch leaves,  I managed to kiss the girl. It didn’t take a lot of persuasion to agree to a kiss.  It was a dream, remember.   On her cheek, on her eyes,  in her neck.  Oh so pale her skin was.  The rest of her body was a blur.

While the  wind played in the foliage, we danced a waltz. I can still feel her belly, I can see her looking up to me.  How long did the dance last…?  Until the zebra whinnied,  and I heard the clopping, he was ready to go, how solemn can a sound be.

There was but one question left  : what’s your destination, beautiful?  She answered : soon I will make the big crossing. When she said so, it was as if she already withdrew.   As if the developing of a photo was reversed.  Chemistery!

I demanded , I begged, it was of no use.  She mounted  and kicked the horse.  I watched her as she changed course. She left the frame.

I returned home. For days I stared at the horizon to see if they had arrived.










No comments:

Post a Comment