10/01/2017

The Seminal Style of Pop Princesses the Shangri-Las




In the early 1960s at a Queens, NY high school, sisters Mary and Betty Weiss, Marge and Mary Ann Ganser started playing music at talent contests, school shows and teen parties. They had signed their first record deal by the close of the year, and were to go by the moniker of the Shangri-Las – inspired by a local Chinese restaurant. 

The band's first hit, Remember (Walking in the Sand) was released when Mary was just 15, and they were soon playing with the likes of James Brown, the Beach Boys and The Zombies, making them the envy of a generation. Batting away the advances of boys in bands, setting off fireworks after every show, and eschewing an entourage in favour of a pistol, the Shangri-Las soon became renowned for being the tough girls of pop – all while making time to complete high school and earn qualifications at business school between tours.






Although they had many female compatriots, being key players in the ‘girl groups’ set, for the most part their contemporaries would be singing about waiting for a guy to call, dreaming about first dates and lamenting heartbreak. When the Shangri-Las covered similar bases, it’d be with undercurrents of fighting dogs, rumbling motorcycles and running away from home, death-obsessed melodrama and girl gangs. 





The leader of the pack


Remember walking in the sand


I can never go home anymore


Out in the street


Past, Present And Future 


lyrics :


(Past), Past, well now let me tell you about the past.
Past is filled with silent joys and broken toys,
laughing girls and teasing boys,
Was I ever in love? I called it love- I mean, it felt like love.
There were moments when, well, there were moments when.
(Present), Go out with you? Why not?
Do I like to dance? Of course,
Take a walk along the beach tonight? I'd love to,
But don't try to touch me, don't try to touch me
'Cause that will never happen again,
Shall we dance?
(Instrumental Interlude)
(The future), Tomorrow? well, tomorrow’s  a long way off.
Maybe someday I'll have somebody's hand.
Maybe somewhere someone will understand.
You know I used to sing- a tisket a tasket a green and yellow basket.
I'm all packed up and I'm on my way and I'm gonna fall in love,
But at the moment it doesn't look good
At the moment it will never happen again

I don't think it will ever happen again.


More info here   :



Bonus :  Bat For Lashes  

What's a girl to do





No comments:

Post a Comment