12/12/2021

Mary Elizabeth Coleridge : 30 Poems

 




 The Witch
 
I have walked a great while over the snow,
And I am not tall nor strong.
My clothes are wet, and my teeth are set,
And the way was hard and long.
I have wandered over the fruitful earth,
But I never came here before.
Oh, lift me over the threshold, and let me in at the door!
 
The cutting wind is a cruel foe.
I dare not stand in the blast.
My hands are stone, and my voice a groan,
And the worst of death is past.
I am but a little maiden still,
My little white feet are sore.
Oh, lift me over the threshold, and let me in at the door!
 
Her voice was the voice that women have,
Who plead for their heart's desire.
She came—she came—and the quivering flame
Sunk and died in the fire.
It never was lit again on my hearth
Since I hurried across the floor,
To lift her over the threshold, and let her in at the door.
 



The Train
 
 
A green eye-and a red-in the dark.
Thunder-smoke-and a spark.
 
It is there-it is here-flashed by.
Whither will the wild thing fly?
 
It is rushing, tearing thro’ the night,
Rending her gloom in its flight/
 
It shatters her silence with shrieks,
Where is it the wild thing seeks?
 
Alas! For it hurries away
Them that are fain to stay.
 
Hurrah! For it carries home
Lovers and friends that roam.
 
Where are you, Time and Space?
The world is a little place.
 
Your reign is over and done,
You are one.
 






A Moment
 
The clouds had made a crimson crown
Above the mountains high.
The stormy sun was going down
In a stormy sky.
 
Why did you let your eyes so rest on me,
And hold your breath between?
In all the ages this can never be
As if it had not been.
 



The Other Side Of A Mirror
 

I sat before my glass one day,
And conjured up a vision bare,
Unlike the aspects glad and gay,
That erst were found reflected there -
The vision of a woman, wild
With more than womanly despair.
Her hair stood back on either side
A face bereft of loveliness.
It had no envy now to hide
What once no man on earth could guess.
It formed the thorny aureole
Of hard, unsanctified distress.
 
Her lips were open - not a sound
Came though the parted lines of red,
Whate'er it was, the hideous wound
In silence and secret bled.
No sigh relieved her speechless woe,
She had no voice to speak her dread.
 
And in her lurid eyes there shone
The dying flame of life's desire,
Made mad because its hope was gone,
And kindled at the leaping fire
Of jealousy and fierce revenge,
And strength that could not change nor tire.
 
Shade of a shadow in the glass,
O set the crystal surface free!
Pass - as the fairer visions pass -
Nor ever more return, to be
The ghost of a distracted hour,
That heard me whisper: - 'I am she!'
 




The Contents of an Ink-bottle
 
 
Well of blackness, all defiling,
Full of flattery and reviling,
Ah, what mischief hast thou wrought
Out of what was airy thought,
What beginnings and what ends,
Making and dividing friends!
 
Colours of the rainbow lie
In thy tint of ebony;
Many a fancy have I found
Bright upon that sombre ground;
Cupid plays along the edge,
Skimming o'er it like a midge;
Niobe in turn appears,
Thinning it with crystal tears.
 
False abuse and falser praise,
Falsest lays and roundelays!
One thing, one alone, I think,
Never yet was found in ink; —
Truth lies not, the truth to tell,
At the bottom of this well!
 
 



Solo
 
 
Leave me alone! my tears would make you laugh,
Or kindly turn away to hide a smile.
My brimming granaries cover many a mile;
How should you know that all my corn is chaff?
Leave me alone! my tears would make you laugh.
 
Leave me alone! my mirth would make you weep.
I only smile at all that you hold dear;
I only laugh at that which most you fear;
I see the shallows where you sound the deep.
Leave me alone! my mirth would make you weep.
 
 
 

 
L'oiseau bleu
 
The lake lay blue below the hill,
O’er it, as I looked, there flew
Across the waters, cold and still,
A bird whose wings were palest blue.
 
The sky above was blue at last,
The sky beneath me blue in blue,
A moment, ere the bird had passed,
It caught his image as he flew.





 

Unwelcome
 
 
We were young, we were merry, we were very very wise,
And the door stood open at our feast,
When there passed us a woman with the West in her eyes,
And a man with his back to the East.
 
O, still grew the hearts that were beating so fast,
The loudest voice was still.
The jest died away on our lips as thy passed,
And the rays of July struck chill.
 
The cups of red wine turned pale on the board,
The white bread black as soot.
The hound forgot the hand of her lord,
She fell down at his foot.
 
Low let me lie, where the dead dog lies,
Ere I sit me down again at a feast,
When there passes a woman with the West in her eyes,
And a man with his back to the East.
 
 


We never said farewell
 
We never said farewell, nor even looked
Our last upon each other, for no sign
Was made when we the linkèd chain unhooked
And broke the level line.
 
And here we dwell together, side by side,
Our places fixed for life upon the chart.
Two islands that the roaring seas divide
Are not more far apart.
 



Gibberish
 
Many a flower have I seen blossom,
Many a bird for me will sing.
Never heard I so sweet a singer,
 Never saw I so fair a thing.
 
She is a bird, a bird that blossoms,
 She is a flower, a flower that sings;
And I a flower when I behold her,
And when I hear her, I have wings.
 
 



Jealousy
 
 
 ‘The myrtle bush grew shady
Down by the ford.’
‘Is it even so?’ said my lady.
‘Even so!’ said my lord.
‘The leaves are set too thick together
For the point of a sword.
 
‘The arras in your room hangs close,
No light between!
You wedded one of those that see unseen.’
‘Is it even so?’ said the King’s Majesty.
‘Even so!’ said the Queen.
 





'My True Love Hath My Heart And I Have His'
 
 
None ever was in love with me but grief.
She wooed my from the day that I was born;
She stole my playthings first, the jealous thief,
And left me there forlorn.
 
The birds that in my garden would have sung,
She scared away with her unending moan;
She slew my lovers too when I was young,
And left me there alone.
 
Grief, I have cursed thee often—now at last
To hate thy name I am no longer free;
Caught in thy bony arms and prisoned fast,
I love no love but thee.
 
 



When my love did what I would not, what I would not
 
 
When my love did what I would not, what I would not,
I could hear his merry voice upon the wind,
Crying, "e;Fairest, shut your eyes, for see you should not.
Love is blind!"
 
When my love said what I say not, what I say not,
With a joyous laugh he quieted my fears,
Whispering, "Fairest, hearken not, for hear you may not.
Hath Love ears?"
 
When my love said, "Will you longer let me seek it?
Blind and deaf is she that doth not bid me come!"
All my heart said murmuring, "Dearest, can I speak it?
Love is dumb
 



Marriage
 
 
No more alone sleeping, no more alone waking,
Thy dreams divided, thy prayers in twain;
Thy merry sisters tonight forsaking,
Never shall we see, maiden, again.
 
Never shall we see thee, thine eyes glancing.
Flashing with laughter and wild in glee,
Under the mistletoe kissing and dancing,
Wantonly free.
 
There shall come a matron walking sedately,
Low-voiced, gentle, wise in reply.
Tell me, O tell me, can I love her greatly?
All for her sake must the maiden die!
 



 
Good Friday in my heart


 
Good Friday in my heart! Fear and affright!
My thoughts are the Disciples when they fled,
My words the words that priest and soldier said,
My deed the spear to desecrate the dead.
And day, Thy death therein, is changed to night.
 
Then Easter in my heart sends up the sun.
My thoughts are Mary, when she turned to see.
My words are Peter, answering, ‘Lov’st thou Me?’
My deeds are all Thine own drawn close to Thee,
And night and day, since Thou dost rise, are one.
 







To Memory

 
Strange Power, I know not what thou art,
Murderer or mistress of my heart.
I know I'd rather meet the blow
Of my most unrelenting foe
Than live---as now I live---to be
Slain twenty times a day by thee.
 
Yet, when I would command thee hence,
Thou mockest at the vain pretence,
Murmuring in mine ear a song
Once loved, alas! forgotten long;
And on my brow I feel a kiss
That I would rather die than miss
 




 
 
An Insincere Wish Addressed to a Beggar
 
 
We are not near enough to love,
I can but pity all your woe;
For wealth has lifted me above,
And falsehood set you down below.
 
If you were true, we still might be
Brothers in something more than name;
And were I poor, your love to me
Would make our differing bonds the same.
 
But golden gates between us stretch,
Truth opens her forbidding eyes;
You can't forget that I am rich,
Nor I that you are telling lies.
 
Love never comes but at love's call,
And pity asks for him in vain;
Because I cannot give you all,
You give me nothing back again.
 
And you are right with all your wrong,
For less than all is nothing too;
May Heaven beggar me ere long,
And Truth reveal herself to you!



 
 Wilderspin

 
In the little red house by the river,
When the short night fell,
Beside his web sat the weaver,
Weaving a twisted spell.
Mary and the Saints deliver
My soul from the nethermost Hell!
 
In the little red house by the rushes
It grew not dark at all,
For day dawned over the bushes
Before the night could fall.
Where now the torrent rushes,
The brook ran thin and small.
 
In the little red house a chamber
Was set with jewels fair;
There did a vine clamber
Along the clambering stair,
And grapes that shone like amber
Hung at the windows there.
 
Will the loom not cease whirring?
Will the house never be still?
Is never a horseman stirring
Out and about on the hill?
Was it the cat purring?
Did someone knock at the sill?
 
To the little red house a rider
Was bound to come that night.
A cup of sheeny cider
Stood ready for his delight.
And like a great black spider,
The weaver watched on the right.
 
To the little red house by the tiver
I came when the short night fell.
I broke the web for ever,
I broke my heart as well.
Michael and the Saints deliver
My soul from the nethermost Hell!
 
 
 

The Deserted House
 
 
There's no smoke in the chimney,
And the rain beats on the floor;
There's no glass in the window,
There's no wood in the door;
The heather grows behind the house,
And the sand lies before.
 
No hand hath trained the ivy,
The walls are grey and bare;
The boats upon the sea sail by,
Nor ever tarry there.
No beast of the field comes nigh,
Nor any bird of the air
 
 


Vale - Egypt's Might is Tumbled Down
 
 
Egypt's might is tumbled down
Down a-down the deeps of though;
Greece is fallen and Troy town,
Glorious Rome hath lost her crown,
Venice' pride is nought.
 
But the dreams their children dreamed
Fleeting, unsubstantial, vain,
Shadowy as the shadows seemed,
Airy nothing, as they deemed,
These remain.
 
 



Master and Guest
 
 
There came a man across the moor,
Fell and foul of face was he.
He left the path by the cross-roads three,
And stood in the shadow of the door.
 
I asked him in to bed and board.
I never hated any man so.
He said he could not say me No.
He sat in the seat of my own dear lord.
 
"Now sit you by my side!" he said,
"Else may I neither eat nor drink.
You would not have me starve, I think."
He ate the offerings of the dead.
 
"I'll light you to your bed," quoth I.
"My bed is yours — but light the way!"
I might not turn aside nor stay;
I showed him where we twain did lie.
 
The cock was trumpeting the morn.
He said: "Sweet love, a long farewell!
You have kissed a citizen of Hell,
And a soul was doomed when you were born.
 
"Mourn, mourn no longer your dear!
Him may you never meet above.
The gifts that Love hath given to Love,
Love gives away to Fear."
 
 


Regina


 
My Queen her sceptre did lay down,
She took from her head the golden crown
Worn by right of her royal birth.
Her purple robe she cast aside,
And the scarlet vestures of her pride,
That was the pride of the earth.
In her nakedness was she
Queen of the world, herself and me.
 
My Queen took up her sceptre bright,
Her crown more radiant than the light,
The rubies gleaming out of the gold.
She donned her robe of purple rare,
And did a deed that none may dare,
That makes the blood run cold.
And in her bravery is she
Queen of herself, the world and me.
 



'Tis not Love that is dead
 
 
'Tis not Love that is dead,
But Hope, his sister fair.
They breathed the self-same air,
On the same food they fed.
The soul of Love with awful strength was filled
By Passion — but his sister, Hope, was killed.
 
 


St. Andrew's
 
 
While the sun was going down,
There arose a fairy town.
 
Not the town I saw by day,
Cheerless, joyless, dull, and gray,
 
But a far, fantastic place,
Builded with ethereal grace,
 
Shimmering in a tender mist
That the slanting rays had kissed
 
Ere they let their latest fire
Touch with gold each slender spire.
 
There no men and women be:
Mermen, maidens of the sea,
 
Combing out their tangled locks,
Sit and sing among the rocks.
 
As their ruddy harps they sound,
With the seaweed twisted round,
 
In the shining sand below
See the city downward go!




Are the dead as calm as those
 
 
Are the dead as calm as those
They leave behind them, friends or foes?
 
However a man may love or fight
Calm he falls asleep at night!
 
Fast the living sleeps and well;
But the spirits — who can tell?
 
Are they as a rushing flame
For the Sun from whence it came,
 
Driven on from star to star,
Where the other dead men are?
 
 



 
After Reading Certain Books
 
 
It's a great deal better to lose than win,
And virtue is nothing compared to sin,
And to get out of Heaven's the way to get in,
Said the Devil.
 
For the narrow way, as we know full well,
Is the way that leads a saint to Hell,
And who can rise that never fell?
Said the Devil.
 
And if God forgave, not when you would,
But whenever you did the best you could,
What room would there be for God to be good?
Said the Devil.
 
 
A Clever Woman
 
 
You thought I had the strength of men,
Because with men I dared to speak,
And courted science now and then,
And studied Latin for a week;
But woman's woman, even when
She reads her Ethics in the Greek.
 
You thought me wiser than my kind;
You thought me "more than common tall'
You thought because I had a mind,
That I could have no heart at all;
But woman's woman you will find,
Whether she be great or small.
 
And then you needs must die--ah, well!
I knew you not, you loved not me.
'Twas not because that darkness fell,
You saw not what there was to see.
But I that saw and could not tell--
O evil Angel, set me free!
 
 
 
 
The Buddhist
 
 
There never was a face as fair as yours,
A heart as true, a love as pure and keen.
These things endure, if anything endures.
But, in this jungle, what high heaven immures
Us in its silence, the supreme serene
Crowning the dagoba, what destined die
Rings on the table, what resistless dart
Strike me I love you; can you satisfy
The hunger of my heart!
 
Nay; not in love, or faith, or hope is hidden
The drug that heals my life; I know too well
How all things lawful, and all things forbidden
Alike disclose no pearl upon the midden,
Offer no key to unlock the gate of Hell.
There is no escape from the eternal round,
No hope in love, or victory, or art.
There is no plumb-line long enough to sound
The abysses of my heart!
 
There no dawn breaks; no sunlight penetrates
Its blackness; no moon shines, nor any star.
For its own horror of itself creates
Malignant fate from all benignant fates,
Of its own spite drives its own angel afar.
Nay; this is the great import of the curse
That the whole world is sick, and not a part.
Conterminous with its own universe
the horror of my heart!
 
 
Eyes
 
 
Eyes , what are they? Coloured glass,
Where reflections come and pass.
 
Open windows—by them sit
Beauty, Learning, Love, and Wit.
 
Searching cross-examiners;
Comfort's holy ministers.
 
Starry silences of soul,
Music past the lips' control.
 
Fountains of unearthly light;
Prisons of the infinite.
 
 
But in That Sleep of Death What Dreams May Come?
 
 
O Grant me darkness! Let no gleam
—Recall the visionary ray!
Give me to sleep without a dream.
—Too often have I dreamt by day.
The dreams of day are all too strong;
Give me undreaming sleep, and long.
 
If blackest night be of the stuff
—Whereof sun-woven days are made,
I that have dreamed, and dreamed enough
—Tremble, of dreamier dreams afraid.
Give to the heart Thy dreams have blest
The dark unconsciousness of rest!

 

 



More Poems : Poetry nook

*************************

Biography 



Mary Elizabeth Coleridge was born in London, England on 23 September 1861. Her great-great uncle was the Romantic poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834), and her great aunt was Sara Coleridge (1802-1852), author of Phantasmion (1837). Mary's father, Arthur Duke Coleridge was one of the prime movers behind the formation of the London Bach Choir in 1875. Arthur was a talented tenor, and had considered a career as an opera singer. However, he rejected it as a full-time profession on moral grounds and instead became a Clerk to the Assizes, working on the Midlands Circuit for fifty-four years. Nevertheless, there was much of the performer in Arthur Coleridge, and in her collection of Mary Coleridge's poems (1954), Theresa Whistler paints a vivid picture of the head of the Coleridge household. Arthur was, 'a genial, magnificent figure with a face that would look well on a Roman coin, his shock of wavy grey hair poked forward over his open brow [ . . . ]' (26).

 Mary's mother, Mary Anne Jameson, was a member of the famous Jameson Whiskey family, and a cousin of Gugliemo Marconi, the inventor of the oscillating aerial, which enabled the first transatlantic wireless broadcast to take place between England and Canada in 1901. Mary Anne's marriage to Arthur took place in Galway in August 1860. Soon after, they moved to London and Mary was born in the following year and their younger daughter, Florence, on 29th June 1865. Florence was musical, inheriting her talents from her parents. For a short while she attended the Royal Academy of Music which was close to the Coleridge home in Kensington. Mary and Florence were extremely disparate in terms of their personalities, but they remained devoted to each other until Mary's early death.

 The Coleridge family was impressively well connected and several evenings a week the door would be opened perhaps to Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Robert Browning, or the artists, Holman Hunt and Sir John Everett Millais. Likewise, it may have been the actress, Fanny Kemble paying a visit, or the singer Jenny Lind, with her husband, the conductor, Otto Goldschmidt. In Mary's collection of essays, Non Sequitur (1900), she describes her feelings when she first saw Robert Browning step through her front door: 'I should like to think of another girl — as gay, as full of bold ambition and not so shy [ . . . ] I hope she will see the greatest man in the world come in, as I saw Robert Browning come through the door one evening, his hat under his arm' (201).

 Mary was a shy child, scared of the dark and its shadows, but she had a naturally enquiring mind. At the age of twelve she became fascinated with the shape of Hebrew lettering and asked her father to teach her the language. She quickly became fluent in Hebrew as well as in French, German and Italian. In her mid twenties, she would read Greek nude the tutelage of William Cory, who had been Master at Eton when her father was a student there.

 Nonetheless, it was literature, and Browning in particular, which took possession of Mary Coleridge from a very early age. After reading 'On A Balcony,' she wrote, 'I think it passed into my blood' (Coleridge, Collected Poems, 31). In the late 1880's, Mary and a group of friends began to meet weekly at her home in Cromwell Place, London. They would discuss literature and read each other's poems and compositions. They became known as 'The Settee'. Joining Mary every Thursday would be, Ella Coltman, Margaret Newbolt and her husband, Henry Newbolt, later author of the poemsDrake's Drum and Vitae Lampada. It was at one of these gatherings that Mary gave the first public reading of seven of her own poems. After hearing them, Newbolt remarked: 'I had no inkling of such a gift as this, and these poor verses f mine have lived in complete retirement ever since' (Newbolt, My World as in My Time, 179).

 Mary Coleridge had been a published writer since the early 1880s when she began to write drama reviews and essays under a nom de plume for a publication called The Theatre. One of her earliest published works for this magazine was an essay called 'Her Grace, the Duchess, in 1884. She also produced items for the Times Literary Supplement and short stories and essays for magazines such as The Cornhill. However, Mary's first major literary publications came in the mid to late 1890s. In 1893, her first novel, The Seven Sleepers of Ephesus was published by Chatto and Windus. Set in Germany, it is a dark tale of secret societies, literary rebellion, romance, disguise and brotherhood. The Seven Sleeperslaid the foundations for Mary's future novels, with its secret and interchangeable identities. It was well received on publication and was praised by Robert Louis Stevenson.

 The publication of Mary's poems came about when a friend plotted to have them read by a wider audience. Violet Hodgkin's cousin was married to the poet Robert Bridges. Violet arranged for the small white book of poems that Mary had copied out for her to be left where Bridges would see them, knowing that he would be unable to resist giving an opinion. He did so and insisted upon meeting Mary to give her advice prior to publishing the small collection. Mary, initially reluctant, eventually agreed to publication, but only if she could use a pseudonym. She chose 'Anodos', meaning 'Wanderer', the name of the hero in George MacDonald's 1858 novel, Phantastes. Bridges advised her to make alterations to most of her poems, but diffident though she was, Mary only accepted those changes which she thought would improve her work. Fancy's Following was published privately by the Daniel Press in 1896. In 1897, several of the poems were then re-printed along with some unseen works in Fancy's Guerdon.

 Mary's second novel, The King with Two Faces was also published in 1897. It was an immediate success and earned its author £900 in royalties. It focussed upon the life and death of the controversial King Gustav of Sweden, who reigned between 1792 and 1809. It is a story replete with masks and theatrical imagery. There is also the hint of a homoerotic subtext running through the story. Coleridge was influenced by the work of Sir Walter Scott and her first three novels are very much in his style of historical adventure stories. The Fiery Dawn was the last of this type of story. Yet again, it had a real-life historical figure as its main protagonist, focussing upon the rebellion in France in 1832, led by Caroline, Duchess of Berry (1798 - 1890).

 Coleridge's fourth novel, The Shadow on the Wall, was published in 1904, and pastiches Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890). Murder, mystery, art and homoerotic pursuit are all brought together in this occasionally mischievous retort to Wilde. In 1900, Coleridge produced her collection of essays, Non Sequitur, a fascinating collection of personal reminiscences and views on art and literature. Even today, these essays resonate with wit and humour. In 1906, The Lady on the Drawing Room Floor became Coleridge's last published novel. It is a gentle tale of two lovers who swear to meet again after being separated for many years.

 In 1907, Coleridge continued to write poetry and was working upon a medieval romance, which she titled Becq. She was also writing a short biography of the artist Holman Hunt, at the personal request of Hunt himself. In the summer of 1907, the Coleridges travelled to Harrogate in the north of England, a place Mary disliked, for their annual holiday. During their stay there, Mary was taken ill with appendicitis. An operation to remove her appendix took place, but Mary contracted blood poisoning and died on 25th August 1907. Unusually for the time, she was cremated and her ashes buried in the cemetery just around the corner from where she died. Her grave is still there, inscribed with her dates and a short quotation from St. Paul, which reads simply, 'Pure love'.


The Mary Coleridge Society





The female Doppelgänger is in hiding. Critical studies of literary Doppelgängers focus almost entirely on male doubles from Frankenstein to Fight Club, suggesting that this motif more aptly describes a distinctly male duality. Yet throughout the nineteenth century, women writers from Mary Shelley to Mary Elizabeth Coleridge used Gothic doubling to critique assumptions about gender essentialism, the Angel in the House, and competing roles of wife, mother, and professional writer. Shelley’s Frankenstein (1816), for example, highlights the dichotomies between Creator and Creature, father and son, Self and Other, but stops short of creating a female double to share in the Creature’s isolation. Elizabeth Gaskell’s The Poor Clare (1856) presents a female Doppelgänger through the filter of the unnamed male narrator who attempts to save Gaskell’s Lucy from her own demonic double. Most notably, Mary E. Coleridge confronts female duality and otherness directly in moments of intimate self-reflection and Gothic dread. Many of her poems, novels, and essays offer a perspective missing from traditionally masculine Doppelgänger tales such as R. L. Stevenson’s Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886) and Joseph Conrad’s The Secret Sharer (1910) . Coleridge’s androgynous, often duplicitous narrators challenge the notion that literary Doppelgängers embody secrets hidden deep within a male psyche. Rather, her work actively rejects the belief that Victorian women were incapable of compelling duplicities all their own.

 The Doppelgänger—literally “double walker” in German—is defined as an “apparition of a living person; a ghost” (OED). Today, this term has become synonymous with one’s physical twin; however, Doppelgängers in Victorian literature rarely look anything alike. Rather, these supernatural doubles are often deformed or grotesque versions of an original or idealized self. What made Doppelgängers so compelling to Victorian writers was not their shared external features but rather their uncanny psychological connections. The doubling motif was especially fitting for a society obliged to keep individual and aberrant desires hidden for the sake of propriety and prestige. Victorian doubles often help protagonists recognize something within themselves that they are otherwise unable to see. By exposing the relationship between public masks and private selves, these spectral Doppelgängers represent an enduring tension between the personas we create to adapt and survive and the “true” selves that get lost beneath them. [i]

 Mary Coleridge wrote frequently about the impossibility of separating the duplicities of our public and private selves. Her best-known work, The King With Two Faces, includes frequent references to doubling: two creatures, a wise man and a fool ( King 99); two ways to get rid of a dangerous person (i.e., reconcile with or kill him); two Queens (173); and the possibility that man is not two but many selves at once (“He is two at least—sometimes I think he is ten” [158]). Her best-known poems, too, feature mirrors, masks, and the multiplication of poetic voices and identity. As the great-great-niece of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Coleridge was publicly reserved about her poetry, agreeing to publish only under the third-person male pseudonym Anodos, or pathless wanderer, a self-constructed male Doppelgänger, a master of Orwellian doublethink that allowed Coleridge to evade constraints of her gender and historical moment through her writing: “I will christen myself over again, make George MacDonald my godfather, and name myself after my favourite hero, Anodos in Phantasies ” ( Gathered Leaves 24).

 In Gathered Leaves, a posthumous collection of letters, stories, and articles, Coleridge describes the male Anodos as distinctly aware of his autonomy and gender fluidity, specifically his ability to inhabit multiple characters and bodies at once: “ Anodos has over and over again been conscious, both for good and evil, that he was being rented by a spirit not his own, and when his body goes to sleep, he is in all probability animating another one” ( Gathered Leaves 221). Through the Jekyll and Hyde-like Anodos, Coleridge rejects the moral righteousness surrounding Victorian femininity and the woman writers in her poetry, novels, and essays rather than in her life. More importantly, the fragmented, epicene speakers of “The Witch,” “Regina,” and “The Other Side of a Mirror” (1896) complicate rigid thinking about Victorian women as passive, dutiful, and angelic mothers and wives. Coleridge’s divided narrators are as much estranged from themselves as they are compelled into enraged silence by passions and fears they cannot articulate, even to themselves.

 Coleridge’s phantom-wanderers increase the need for doubled selves and the impossibility of maintaining such duplicity without fatal consequences. In the two-voiced ballad “The Witch,” Coleridge introduces a first narrator who haunts the poem’s second narrator by disguising herself as an innocent and helpless maiden who simply wants to be passively “lifted” over the threshold and set before a warm fire. Describing herself as a weary female wanderer in search of rest and the listener’s pity, she makes competing claims to female purity and to the need for rescue, resurrection, and preservation: “I am but a little maiden still, / My little white feet are sore / Oh, lift me over the threshold, and let me in at the door” ( Fancy’s Following 53-54, ll. 12-14). The maiden’s puzzling statement that “the worst of death is past” (l. 11) distances her further from the warm and welcoming domestic threshold. She is an unearthly Gothic threat, a mysteriously vampyric temptress who becomes more powerful when disguised as a cold, helpless “maiden” in need of male rescue.

 One cannot separate this enigmatic female speaker from the ominous suggestiveness of the poem’s title: Coleridge’s maiden-witch wraps herself in the costumes of female virtue and vulnerability while carrying with her omens of death. She utters her refrain once again before the poem shifts abruptly to a second, anonymous “I,” an unnamed individual who hears “her” entreaty and cannot turn her away: “Her voice was the voice that women have, / Who plead for their heart’s [sic] desire” (ll. 15-16). The maiden’s innocent refrain shifts abruptly in the third stanza from “I” to “her,” blurring the agency and motives of both speakers and making it impossible to identify the true narrator from among the poem’s shifting voices. At the climax of “The Witch,” the second speaker joins countless others who have been compelled to suffer and delight in the hauntings of this split self.
 
Coleridge distinguishes her poetic speakers from those who “live in a world of [the] looking-glass, which reflects all their most important actions—or their least important, as the case may be—for the benefit of the outside world” ( Gathered Leaves 177). The absence of single-voiced narration in “The Witch” echoes this need to appear publicly passive and unassuming within Victorian society before one can begin to wield any power from within it. The split nature of the first speaker’s identity divides the poem even further by refusing to explain which voice is in control of the tale or what becomes of the voice that ends the poem. The increased length of poetic lines also highlights the distance between the world of the poem and the social reality beyond it. In doing so, Coleridge heightens the Gothic and spectral features of the Doppelgänger as well as its cultural and ethical implications for Victorian women wishing to delay domesticity in order to continue to write.
 
The passive narrators of “The Witch” and the speaker of “The Other Side of a Mirror” contrast sharply with the strong female characters of poems such as “Regina.” The first-person speaker of this poem watches as “My Queen” removes all symbols of regal power from her body. This disrobing scene is reminiscent of the disrobing of Geraldine in Coleridge’s great-great uncle, Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s Christabel ; here, however, nakedness is empowering rather than hidden from view, “a sight to dream of, not to tell”: “My Queen her scepter did lay down, / She took from her head the golden crown / Worn by right of her royal birth” ( Fancy’s Following ll. 1-3). Once these physical markers of power are fully removed, the queen stands “[i]n her nakedness” as “the Queen of the world, herself, and me” (ll. 7-8). Though this queen demonstrates “manly” command, it is significant that she is a queen and not a king.
 
The poem that most successfully highlights the actual moment of coming face to face with one’s Doppelgänger is perhaps Coleridge’s best remembered. “The Other Side of a Mirror” presents a “wild” and “hideous” female presence made visible in a mirror ( Fancy’s Following 10-11, ll. 5, 15): this anonymous speaker faces, apparently for the first time, a reflection that is foreign yet also isolated from social judgment. The first-person speaker of the poem deliberately “conjures” up a female presence very different from herself, “a face bereft of loveliness,” a monstrous vision to which the narrator will refer repeatedly as “she” and “her.” Finding she can neither identify with nor tear herself away from this “silent visage,” she can only stare at her, observing how this unsightly woman “had no voice to speak her dread” (l. 18). Even “her” lips appear woefully distorted into a “hideous wound” that “in silence and in secret bled” (l. 16). This transfixed, repulsed narrator suggests the possibility of an androgynous, self-ruling identity that alienates and mesmerizes with unfamiliar or unconscious desires. The woman on the other side of the mirror is stripped of Victorian veils of cheerful acquiescence and struggles to recreate herself without relying on conventional “glad and gay” female ideals.
 
In the final stanza of “The Other Side of a Mirror,” this reflection “of jealousy, and fierce rage” (l. 23) collapses into two haunting female entities—a rapt, gradually yielding narrator and the “shade of a shadow in the glass” (l. 25) that begins to assume power over the narrator. The enchanted narrator pleads with this “shadow” to turn back into “the ghost of a distracted hour” (l. 29), to “set the crystal surface free” (l. 30), and to pass away as “the fairer visions pass” (l. 27). In the poem’s climactic whispered confession, “I am She” (l. 30), the narrator at last understands these desires as her own, though she can neither personalize nor articulate them. When Coleridge’s narrator comes face to face with her own hideous reflection, laid bare, she collapses the first and third person in a manner evocative of the collapse that occurs in the concluding narrative of Stevenson’s Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This shift recalls the pronoun shift so crucial to the ominous tone of “The Witch.” In this moment, Coleridge’s narrator becomes painfully conscious and terrified of the self she is compelled to repress. By ending the poem with this repressed, powerful “she,” Coleridge equates this new self to the “I” that opens her poem. As “she” and “I” collapse into one another in this imminent moment of self-discovery, speaker and reader discover simultaneously the complicit role of the “I” in presenting this mute and monstrous “she” as a foreign and fearful Other. [ii]
 
For Coleridge, mirrors represent a distinct weakening of power and mystique, a realization of truth that is unwelcome for its lack of artifice. In her final essay in Non Sequitur, Coleridge provides a convincing description of an androgynous sitter in a similar act of self-reflection: “In life, if we have gazed too long, the eye beholds itself and is averted instantly—conscious reflection for more than a minute becoming intolerable. Not one of us can stand it alone before the looking-glass” ( Non Sequitur 211). This description contrasts sharply with characters such as Oscar Wilde’s Dorian Gray or Ovid’s Narcissus, neither of whom can tear himself away from his own physical reflections. In Gathered Leaves, Coleridge describes the act of looking into mirrors as a secret wish to step outside our own reflections and look in on them from the outside. Indeed, one of the greatest dangers of looking into a mirror is that it obliterates movement and emphasizes the garish or flimsy quality of our chosen masks. At the same time, mirrors can also obliterate identity altogether: “Personal identity?” Coleridge writes in one of her letters, “I think we are much greater fools to believe in it. It is only the stupid transitory flesh in which we walk about that makes us. We believe it for others, not for ourselves” ( Gathered Leaves 221). Coleridge’s discussion of mirrors as both eclipsing identity and eliciting moments of unsettling recognition sheds new light on contemporary conceptions of the Doppelgänger as a female phenomenon.
 
Through the vehicle of spectral doubles, Mary Coleridge produces poems in which foreign reflections and suspended dread held keys to self-discovery. She creates androgynous, doubled-voiced characters who take us beyond concerns with her poetic lineage or her involvement in advancing social movements. In “St. Andrew’s,” for example, she writes of “a far, fantastic place” (l. 5) where gender is reimagined as important but not divisive: “There no men and women be: / Mermen, maidens of the sea, / Combing out their tangled locks, / Sit and sing among the rocks” ( Fancy’s Following ll. 11-14). Coleridge’s shadow selves are not merely the product of a society that requires repression; rather, these doubles represent the possibility of the mundane and the irreverent existing side-by-side, a cohesive self beneath our social masks that cannot be defined by conventional gender roles. This silent otherness is significant for Coleridge since confronting one’s reflection is only the first step toward establishing a unified self. Also essential to this process is finding a way to reintegrate the double into one’s consciousness so that it no longer feels foreign or fragmentary.
 
Interestingly, Coleridge publicly rejected claims of feminist motives in her work: “Woman with a big W bores me supremely ... It is a mere abstraction born of monks and the mists of the North. A woman I know, but what on earth is Woman? She has done her best to spoil history, poetry, novels, essays, and Sir Thomas Browne and Thoreau are the only things safe from her; that’s why I love them” ( Gathered Leaves 234). At the same time, Coleridge was also critical of other woman writers who failed to transcend their gender. Some of the writers that Coleridge labeled as too proper and safe have since been considered among the leading feminist writers of their time. Referring directly to female contemporaries including Mary Shelley and Sara Coleridge (Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s only daughter), Coleridge expresses frustration that these women writers must behave “so Englishwomanly. They certainly have imagination, and when they set it to work it works successfully … But it does not play about in their ordinary writings or lend grace to their lives. It is all cold” ( Gathered Leaves 219). Through Anodos and in the male and androgynous protagonists that frequent her novels and poems, Coleridge finds a way to escape “Englishwomanly” conceptions of femininity and morally righteous conceptions of the Victorian writer.
 
Viewing Coleridge’s work alongside tales of doubling by male writers could mean another revival of her work. In their 1979 Madwoman in the Attic, Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar named Coleridge’s “The Other Side of a Mirror” as central to the “feminist poetics” they wished to construct (15), namely that which could begin to “excavate the real self buried beneath the ‘copy’ selves” (Gilbert 44). Katherine McGowran resists this early feminist reading, explaining how Coleridge’s “reluctance to assume a gendered identity” indeed granted her a great deal of creative freedom. Viewed this way, “the business of assuming a pseudonymous identity becomes a positive act, a means of casting off the burden of selfhood in order to enter a new one in writing” (585). More recently, Coleridge has become largely absent from scholarly discussions of the Gothic that focus on women writers. Her contributions to what was largely considered the male terrain of Doppelgänger tales offers a way to reconsider her body of poetry and prose.
 
In his well-known study The Divided Self, Masao Miyoshi sees the double in Victorian literature as a mode of self-creation (Miyoshi 291). In his chapter on masks and mirrors in literature of the 1890s, Miyoshi writes, “The mask hides no man’s face, and although everyone fears exposure of his nothingness, to others one’s mask is one’s face. The mirror, on the other hand, reflects not only the mask but, hopefully, the hidden truth of the face” (311). Coleridge implicitly experiments with the idea that “[t]he mask is for others’ inspection, the mirror for one’s private introspection” (311). In her miscellaneous letters and diaries, Coleridge also challenges the connection between mirrors and self-reflections. “It is to see ourselves as others see us,” she writes, “that we provide ourselves with looking-glasses, that we have our portraits painted and our photographs taken” ( Non Sequitur 267). Mirrors reveal shadow selves that provide additional layers to the Doppelgänger motif: namely, the ghost of another self, one that is perhaps more authentic but is nevertheless suppressed by more pleasing, artificial masks. Most dangerous, Coleridge’s poems suggest, are those characters who understand the power and desire beneath these masks and also know how to express them.
 
In much of her work, Coleridge depicts the struggle to reconcile a true self in a world that requires such convincing public masks. Her Doppelgängers make visible the shadow selves in motion within us and the dangers of repressing essential parts of ourselves that society deems unacceptable or even depraved. These poems also complicate psychoanalytic readings of the Doppelgänger by suggesting ways in which we can welcome or reject our shadow selves, causing them to consume us. This process of fragmentation does not necessarily end in the fight for dominance or the death of one double seen in countless male Doppelgänger tales. Rather, the quest for one’s hidden self ends in ambiguity and disillusion, revealing the impossibility of ridding ourselves of the masks that have come to define us. Coleridge envisions the Gothic double as essential in moments of profound self-awareness that are simultaneously liberating and paralyzing. Such moments of shock and contention expose fears about modernity and degeneration, fears that force characters to maintain these personas in order to conceal the vital parts of themselves.
 
While it may be easier than ever to find our celebrity twin in the digital age, such doubles are reductions of a motif so compelling it dominated the most enduring works of nineteenth-century British literature. Coleridge’s Gothic doubles differ radically from current notions of the double as physical look-alikes who live alternative lives to our own. In fact, her chameleon-like Doppelgängers may offer a more relevant way of describing how we create and maintain our own virtual personas today. Like the narrators of Coleridge’s poems, we present what we think will dazzle and leave out what is likely to displease or disappoint. Because we are constantly connected to these virtual modes of self-expression, our public and private selves become entangled and impossible to unravel fully. Examples of the Victorian Doppelgänger—like those depicted by Coleridge—suggest the possibility of recognizing and absorbing those parts of ourselves that exist apart from our digital personas. More importantly, these spectral doubles may even provide clues for how to navigate the shadowy terrain of our public profiles and private lives. Perhaps now, with lives lived largely online, there has never been a better time to return to Coleridge’s subtle and alluring female Doppelgängers and to bring them out of hiding.

 

Mary E. Coleridge, Androgyny, And The Spectral Doppelgänger. By Heather Braun. Parlour, Ohio University, September 21, 2016. 











No comments:

Post a Comment