06/01/2019

The best films of 2018




My top three films for 2018 are Burning, Cold War and The Sisters Brothers. Films  that go against the idea of man as a homo economicus who rationally pursues his individual interest.  These films show that man is primarily a moral being, including all the advantages and disadvantages this has.


Not surprisingly landscape plays an important part in this year’s selection.   4 of them could be called westerns ( The Rider, The Sisters Brothers, Sweet Country, Dog Man)  Other themes are: children (Jeannette, Girl, The Rider)  or, in particular films,  the care of children (Jusqu'à la Garde, Mia Figlia, Den Skyldige), the triumph of love, illicit (God’s Own Country, Disobedience, Sir) or impossible and at the same time passionate (Cold war, Phantom Thread), the search for  truth ( McQueen, I, Tonya, 3 faces), trying to realize one's dream (The Rider,  I, Tonya, Girl, 3 faces) 




Beoning (Burning)  - Lee Chang-dong

Jong-su bumps into a girl who used to live in the same neighborhood as him, who asks him to look after her cat while on a trip to Africa. When back, she introduces Ben, a mysterious guy she met there, who confess his secret hobby.

“For a long time, I’ve wanted to tell a story about young people, and in particular, the young people of this generation. Some of my past projects were named ‘Project Rage.’ That was because it seems that today, people all over the world, regardless of their nationality, religion, and social status, are angry for different reasons. The rage of young people is a particularly pressing problem. The millennials living in Korea today will be the first generation that are worse off than their parents’ generation. They feel that the future will not change significantly. Not able to find the object to direct their rage at, they feel a sense of debilitation. This film is about young people who feel impotent, with rage bottled up inside them.”

“The barn in the original story has been changed to a greenhouse. That was because greenhouses are much more commonly found than barns in Korea. Whereas in the original story, the central mystery hinges on whether the barns had been burned down or not, the film’s mystery is further expanded to many other mysteries.” 





Zimna wojna  (Cold War)Pawel Pawlikowski

A passionate love story between two people of different backgrounds and temperaments, who are fatefully mismatched and yet condemned to each other. Set against the background of the Cold War in the 1950s in Poland, Berlin, Yugoslavia and Paris, the film depicts an impossible love story in impossible times.

“Yeah, I like placing a person within their landscape. I guess I just like good photography? I think, How do I shoot this? As much like a photographer as possible. It’s not all that intellectual, not symbolic. There was a little of that in Ida, the headroom hovers above her in an intuitive, natural, and significant way. But here, a lot of it was less eccentric than that. I’m just trying to build depth, and in a frame where a face or a body takes up less of the screen, you can fit more into the background. Maybe not depth, there’s some shallowness of field, but a more complex frame. Above all, I wish to connect my heroes to the environment which they traverse. I don’t want to foreground the setting, but I do want to leave it plenty of room in the background to be present. “ 


 “After a while, they kind of grew into this amazing love story. Like the mother of all love stories, for me. And great because it didn’t look like a love story for most of the time. But it’s the end that justifies the story.”

 “They ended up living together in Munich, too tired to fight, and very ill. So in the end they were just kind of like a doddering old couple, but totally in love with each other, and holding hands. They were just the most tender, touching couple. Again, knowing that there’s nothing in the world more precious, or important, or stable than each other.”  




The Sisters Brothers - Jacques Audiard

In 1850s Oregon, a gold prospector named Hermann Kermit Warm is chased by the infamous duo of assassins, the Sisters brothers, in the pay of a wealthy man known only as the Commodore. He is also pursued, at first by John Morris, a scout also in the Commodore's employ, who befriends him.

“The western for an American director is really a foundational text. For me, no, it isn’t. The western is just a period piece for me. Men wearing hats, guns, riding horses. In that sense, my approach is different. Within the mythology, there’s a landscape of space. I don’t share that mythology, so I don’t [focus on] the [literal] landscape. I pay much more attention to dialogue between the characters. For me, the dialogue and the characters are the landscape.”

“I feel very free with the mythology. There are things that I really like and are fun for me inside the conventions when I look at them. But in the morning when we start working, we don’t say to ourselves, “Let’s do a very original western!” Very often in the western there’s something missing about the characters. It’s black or white. They don’t have dreams or a conscience. They have no problems of hygiene. When you locate that humanity inside the characters, then something changes, and they exist in a different way.”

Slant Magazine

“My desires have evolved in tandem with my consciousness about the purpose of cinema and how to make use of it. The world moves before us in all its complexity, so one has to find narrative and aesthetic forms to convey this — in a specific way, simplify it and make it teachable.”




The Rider  -  Chloé Zhao

After suffering a near fatal head injury, a young cowboy undertakes a search for new identity and what it means to be a man in the heartland of America.

“The cattle industry is now completely monopolised by the big meat industry, which is horrible, and so the small ranches are disappearing. If you raise your cattle in a factory lot, why would you need cowboys? These young guys, they’re on Facebook, they have YouTube channels, they’re listening to hip-hop – they’re trying to figure out what it means to be a modern-day cowboy. So there’s a new identity emerging, and I think by capturing that, in a weird way The Rider is reinventing the western – and it’s not because of me. “

“As someone who really loves this country, I find it very sad how divided the media has made us. I’m obviously a liberal, but if you were to ask me, having been in America since 1999, who were the 10 kindest, nicest people I’ve met, I would say more than half of them are from Trump states. It wasn’t a decision while making the film, but I think subconsciously the team and I wanted to connect with people whose lives are so different from ours. When we are sitting there together while the world is being pulled apart, it makes me feel like it’s not doomsday, like there is hope. We’re not going to kill each other, like the media say we are.” 






Phantom Thread Paul Thomas Anderson

Set in 1950s London, Reynolds Woodcock is a renowned dressmaker whose fastidious life is disrupted by a young, strong-willed woman, Alma, who becomes his muse and lover.

“This film came about a few years ago. I wanted to find a way to work with Daniel again, and I wanted to make a – I’m an aficionado of the adopted romance genre, which I’m sure you show a lot of here starting with Rebecca, Gaslight, Suspicion, all those ones that we all know and love. Those are the ones that I always gravitate towards. And so I had an idea that started with a very strong-willed man who was ill, and how nice he became when he was ill, and his spouse thinking, “Mhm, I kinda like him when he’s like this.

And that was enough to get started, to start writing this story, and that was a – we needed a job for this character to do and we both discovered some interesting designers: Cristóbal Balenciaga, who was a great Basque designer who worked in Paris in the ’50s. Charles James was another one – great American man and/British designer who worked kind of all over the place.

But they’re very interesting, self-obsessed, preoccupied with their work, demanding men, and that seemed a great venue for a story like this – for a kind of gothic romance story like this with beautiful dresses and women in lab coats and that kind of thing. So, that’s kind of – “





Jeannette, l'enfance de Jeanne d'Arc  - Bruno Dumont

In the midst of the Hundred Years' War, the young Jeannette, at the still tender age of 8, looks after her sheep in the small village of Domremy. One day, she tells her friend Hauviette how she cannot bear to see the suffering caused by the English.


“Dance is a way of expressing Péguy’s mysticism- it’s the way of embodying it. So for example, the little girl would say to me, “I don’t  understand this part.” Then, I would say, “ Well, then dance.” Dance becomes another way of expressing the inexpressible. There are a lot we don’t understand in Péguy's texts. What we have in there is the rhythm, and that’s where the correspondence is. Like the headbanging. There is not explanation for that. It’s a form of expressing grace. In a Heavy Metal concert, there is that absolute grace in that energy. So when we came to the part we didn’t understand, we’d go, “Girls, go ahead. Headbang!” What we are looking for is harmony. It’s the dance, the shots, in the editing… it’s the effigy of harmony, whether it’s in the words, in the movements. It’s the formal thing that is an absolute quest and the meaning doesn’t matter. We are looking for beauty, we are looking for the shots to be happy between themselves.” 


“I think my interest in religion comes from philosophy. When I deal with religion in my films, it’s in an effort to bring religion back to poetry. I’m not a religious person, but I think the power of religion lies in poetry. I really like seeing angels in trees, people flying, etc, because I think that’s the true poetic reality of things, and I don’t think it necessarily belongs to religion. In a way, religion stole poetry from us. At the cinema, I can believe in God without any trouble. But when I leave, it’s over. It’s a special spiritual phenomenon, and I think our spiritual life can blossom in the arts and in the cinema. At the cinema, we believe that what we see is real, but at the same time, we don’t. We know that what we’re watching is just cinema, but we still believe in it, on a certain level. The same thing goes with God: you must believe in Him, and not believe in Him at the same time.




Jusqu'à la Garde (Custody)  -  Xavier Legrand

A broken marriage leads to a bitter custody battle with an embattled son at the centre.

 “The film is about domestic violence, but I think the real subject is how do children experience and move through this kind of situation. I don’t think it would work to make a film on domestic violence where we only try to understand the violence between partners. Doing that would allow us to forget that kids are also victims. In France, the expression we use is violence conjugal, which means “violence against partners.” In the United States, you use domestic violence, which I think is a more accurate term. It’s an error to differentiate between the partner and the parent. You have to include both.”


Slant Magazine


“Antoine is a man who has chosen violence and who is pro-patriarchal; in the sense that he considers that his wife belongs to him and that his children are his property. He feels he can act and demand what he wants from them. He put the ring on this woman’s finger, she bears his name, she carried his children, so it is unbearable that she could go and live elsewhere without him. In France, a woman is murdered by her spouse or ex-spouse every 2 or 3 days. In 90% of cases, it is at the time of separation or just after that these murders occur. Antoine is one of those men who act in France and all over the world. What’s chilling is that many men today still think this way – “We are married until death do us part. Only death will separate us – it is not you who has the control to separate us. I’d rather know you were dead than alive without me.” There’s nothing romantic about this way of loving.” 



Den Skyldige  (The Guilty)   -   Gustav Möller

A police officer assigned alarm dispatch duty enters a race against time when he answers an emergency call from a kidnapped woman.

“I definitely want to continue working in the tradition of genre film, but find an angle that hasn’t been seen before. I need a concept, an angle, because I’m not  interested in just making a three-act-structure film. I can’t invest several years just to do that.”  (…)  “What I want to do is work with genre film in a way that uses it to draw audiences in, not only to entertain them but also to challenge their world-views and introduce complex subject matter.”


Variety

“For Jakob, he was intrigued by the challenge to carry every frame of the film…For me, what really made Jakob right for the part is his eyes. It’s like he’s is keeping a secret from you, but at the same time you can read a lot from just looking at his eyes.”





God’s Own Country  - Francis Lee

Young farmer Johnny Saxby numbs his daily frustrations with binge drinking and casual sex, until the arrival of a Romanian migrant worker for lambing season ignites an intense relationship that sets Johnny on a new path. Set in Yorkshire.


“I really wanted to show the landscape in the way that I had experienced it. It didn’t have the feeling of freedom or the pastoral. At times it felt oppressive and brutal. I wanted to see the landscape’s effect on the characters, rather than the landscape.” 

The Guardian


“The only thing I thought about was telling a truthful story as authentically as I could, from the world I was from, in a way in which I saw it, the only way I knew how. I didn’t think beyond that. But I knew I didn’t want to tell a story about coming out. I wanted to represent characters who weren’t actually struggling with their sexuality. I wanted to see a queer character struggling with something else! And the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to do was fall in love. To be open enough and vulnerable enough to love and be loved.”




Disobedience  -  Sebastián Lelio

A woman returns to her Orthodox Jewish community that shunned her for her attraction to a female childhood friend. Once back, their passions reignite as they explore the boundaries of faith and sexuality.

“When I became attached, it was at a time when I was receiving offers to direct in English, and so I was reading a lot of scripts. It was hard for me to find anything that really clicked, or I could relate to until I heard the basic lines of the story behind Disobedience. I just loved the dynamics between the characters and the particular love triangle, especially the fact that these are human beings that are trying to do their best, and who are operating against a backdrop of more or less fixed ideas. I thought it was an interesting opportunity to explore the tension between those two elements, and of course, the fact that Rachel Weisz was going to produce was also a big reason to accept because I have always admired her, and so it was very tempting. “


“Then I read the book and I liked it, and even though I'm not British or Jewish, because of the processes that the characters were going through, this alien universe seemed at the same time strangely familiar. These are characters that, in the wrong way, are willing to pay the price to move on to the next level, and are willing to disobey not only what society commands, but to disobey what they thought the world was, or reality was. So they are willing to even go against their own belief system and I think that's something I could relate to. The idea of disobedience, especially today, becomes particularly urgent; disobedience is understood almost like a human right because if no one disobeys, then the status of everything stays the same and nothing progresses. “  



Figlia Mia  - Laura Bispuri

A daughter torn between two mothers, one who raised her with love and her biological mother, who instinctively claims her back.


“The landscape in my films is very important; this is why I devote a lot of time to location scouting. The way I work, it takes me a couple of years to prepare the film. What we do is write the first draft and then I take a journey, for location scouting, and we write a second draft and then I return to the location and then write some more. We keep doing this through the drafts. It’s also true that places can take on metaphorical images in my films – the cave can act as a reminder of a woman’s womb. I am terrified of the idea that my landscapes might become too postcard picturesque. I want to know the landscape well so it becomes familiar so that my camera doesn’t become fixated on it instead of the characters. “


“Vittoria is a little girl who at the beginning of the film looks at herself in the mirror, as if she had a sensation of which she has no awareness: she is a little girl different from her friends, who plays the organ in church, that cannot stand at her friends’ level when they laugh. She is a kind of different girl who slowly makes this great journey, and I wanted that at the end of the film she became a superhero, that she was a little girl who picks up her story, her truth within a short summer during which she discovers she has two mothers and in which she physically crosses this rebirth to become a strong child, which is different perhaps from what you would expect at the beginning of the film.”





Sir  - Rohena Gera

The poor servant Ratna works in the house of Mr. Ashwin, a rich bachelor whose planned marriage has just been cancelled.  A love story  set in Mumbai.

“Actually the idea of it being subtle. Well, it’s not that I was trying to be subtle. I was just trying to be really honest to the characters and to be true to them. Because they wouldn’t even be able to do something big. It has to be like this because of the nature of their relationship. So it didn’t come from a stylistic aspiration. It just came from the characters and space they actually have to maneuver within. It’s so restrictive where they live and how they live. So that is where it all came from. It could be in a tiny moment where you feel that they are noticing each other. That’s how small it can be.”


“Yes, when you fall in love with someone you really see the world from their point of view. I think that’s what one needs to build a more just society. They need to see the point of view of somebody else as much as you can also examen your own prejudices because we all have them. It can be about this is one particular kind of prejudice. It may be the idea that a person will be smarter than that another person because he or she went to this distinct university or maybe he or she has a different kind of background or whatever. There are always some assumptions people make about other people. I feel it’s really about breaking out of that and seeing people for who they are as individuals and not what they represent. Whether it regards a person of a certain class certain color, background or religion. It’s about going past that.”




I, Tonya  Craig Gillespie

White trash ice skater Tonya Harding rises amongst the ranks at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, but her future in the activity is thrown into doubt when her ex-husband intervenes, resulting in the leg bashing on January 6, 1994 of her competitor, Nancy Kerrigan.

 “What I love about this film, which I guess is what documentaries have, is that we’re giving you their version of what happened. Everyone has different versions of what happened; I know I do. I loved having that opportunity because we’re choosing to give different versions that the audience perhaps isn’t aware of. We started off fairly clearly telling the story but then once you get into the second half, I get you deliberately loose track of whose version you’re hearing. I don’t know if the audience is particularly aware of it and I sort of made some of those choices in the edit. When Jeff gets that phone call to look on the tv, and he’s saying, “what the fuck are you talking about?”, that’s Jeff’s version of the story. We’ve switched from Tonya but it’s kind of being done in a subtle way. I had the choice, editorially, to have him saying, “This is what happened”, but I wanted to see if we could get into that greyer area where you get involved in the story and don’t need to keep track of it. At the end you can ask yourself, “What is the truth and what really happened?”.



McQueen  -   Ian Bonhôte, Peter Ettedgui

The life and career of fashion designer Lee Alexander McQueen: from his start as a tailor, to launching and overseeing his eponymous line, and his untimely death.

“I had never done a documentary before, and Peter had, and it became clear that you need all hands on deck with a documentary. There are less clear roles than in narrative filmmaking [with] the collage you create and the trust you need to build with the contributors as well as the investigating work that you have to do through the archive. It is not as defined and what’s interesting as well is we always approached the film as a movie. It’s not like we’re going to interview a bunch of people and let’s see what they tell us. One of our mottos was emotion over information, so anything that we were trying to tell in the film had to have an emotional impact or follow an emotional beat that was part of the narrative. [With] Peter having more experience on that side than I did, it just naturally fell into place that we were making the film together. And we had a really short time as well.”


“Documentaries are [typically] made up of a lot of interviews, but an audience comes to see Lee, so they want to hear from Lee, so however much we could get other people to say things, we always tried to make sure that Lee would confirm what they were saying or actually start the argument that other people would talk about. One thing that we feel that people really take from the film is the home footage [where you] see Lee very up close and in a more candid way because when you do an interview, you can potentially censor yourself or you can project an aspect, and as Peter says, there was tradition [with Lee], but at the same time, he’s slightly punk in the way he’d say things [to get a rise], but on the other hand, you see the soft side of him where he plays with the dogs and he was really good friend to his friends. While we were making the film, we realized how much people loved him and still now feel emotionally still in pain for his passing.”



Sweet  Country - Thornton Warwick


Story set on the Australian Northern Territory frontier in the 1920s, where justice itself is put on trial when an aged Aboriginal farmhand shoots a white man in self-defense and goes on the run as a posse gathers to hunt him down.

“The funny thing is the film is actually based on a true story. It actually happened in 1929, so it came with all its baggage intact. If I set it in space—space is a great place to set something—it would have been something different. But it came with all of that, so it very naturally progressed into a Western. They did have guns, they didn’t shower very often, there were no women and there was no law.”


“Well, the Western has always represented that gap between what we know and what we don’t know. Thats not just a cinematic thing, it’s a human thing. It’s been passed down from pre-word, from oral history. There’s a Western in oral history—the fear of the unknown, the place over there you’re not supposed to go to. And there are always those people who want to make that journey—but who can’t help but bring with them the things that make them feel safe. Which is why Western people have to have some kind of law, because that constitutes a kind of democracy. But there’s also the second part, the desire to control. To tame.”



Dogman  - Matteo Garrone

Marcello takes care of dogs in a poor village just outside Naples and earns some money as a coke dealer. His main customer is Simone, a violent  giant who terrorizes the whole neighbourhood, and also his 'friend' Marcello. That goes so far that Marcello has to intervene.

“I wanted to explore the conflicts and desires of this man, as well as his fears. The true story behind this film is famous in Italy because it’s about torture. It’s an incredibly dark story, but for me Marcello is not a character that could inflict this type of suffering on someone, it’s not possible. Yes, there’s plenty of violence, but this isn’t a splatter movie, it's a film about a man who just wants his dignity back.”


“For me, that’s the most difficult part. I like that I can laugh in a movie, and at the same time I like that I can cry in a movie. And it’s difficult to control the tone. If there is too much of the comic aspect, then the drama can be less strong. We knew that the first part could be more light and comic, and the second part, where he falls in a sort of hole of his mind, can be darker. And we were lucky, because the weather helped us in this direction. When we were shooting the first part, there was a lot of sun–and when we were shooting the second part, it started to rain and to be cloudy. [Laughs] The place loves me. “




Girl  -  Lukas Dhont

Lara is a 15-year-old girl, born in the body of a boy, who dreams of becoming a ballerina.


“I wanted the audience to understand what it’s like to be born in a body that’s not yours. A lot of people have a body they don’t feel fully connected to. I wanted to talk about the relationship with the body, and next to that, I really wanted to show the father-child relationship. The conflict is not between them, there is no question at all from the father’s point of view whether the child should do this, this is a supportive character who shows a lot of love.”


“Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui was the choreographer and when I was talking with him about the film and the scenes, we had agreed that we didn’t want to highlight the choreography, but more the effects of it on the body. We wanted to make a physical film rather than a dance film. When we were talking about it, it was really a collaboration between Sidi, Frank van den Eeden (my DP), and I about how to make it visceral. If you watch the ballet in the film, you’ll see how it’s used as a metaphor. This character has difficulty finding her way in that world and so she wants to manipulate her body to fit into that world and so that’s the big metaphor.”



Se rokh (3 faces)  - Jafar  Panahi

Three actresses at different stages of their career. One from before the 1979 Islamic Revolution, one popular star of today known throughout the country and a young girl longing to attend a drama conservatory.  A road movie in search of the  girl, who  wants to become an actress and  has threatened to kill herself.

“Despite the obstacles that I was facing after the ban, I kept telling myself that I couldn’t give up and had to find a way to keep working. I am not alone. Many other Iranian filmmakers work under difficult circumstances. But instead of quitting or complaining, they persist and still make their films despite all the hurdles. Their determination to keep working against the odds makes me so hopeful about the future of Iranian cinema.”







Sadly I haven’t  had the opportunity to see a .o. ‘Zama’ by Lucrecia Martel, ‘Transit’ by Christian Petzold, ‘You were never really here’  by Lynne Ramsay, ‘Western’ by Valeska Grisebach,  Manbiki kazoku ( Shoplifters) by  Hirokazu Koreeda  and ‘Dawson city – frozen time’ by Bill Morrison.





Best films of 2018



according to Cahiers du Cinéma

according to Esquire

according to Film Comment


according to Filmkrant

according to John Waters

according to Little White Lies

according to Mark Kermode

according  to The New York Times

according to The New Yorker


according to The Playlist

according to Sight & Sound


according to The Skinny


according to Slant Magazine

















No comments:

Post a Comment