08/01/2019

Samuel Beckett : 16 poems






The Vulture

dragging his hinger through the sky
of my skull shell of sky and earth
strooping to the prone who must soon take up their life and walk
mocked by a tissue that may not serve till hunger earth and sky be offal





Alba

before morning you shall be here
and Dante and the Logos and all strata and mysteries
and the branded moon
beyond the white plane of music
that you shall establish here before morning

grave suave singing silk
stoop to the black firmament of areca
rain on the bamboos flowers of smoke alley of willows

who though you stoop with fingers of compassion
to endorse the dust
shall not add to your bounty
whose beauty shall be a sheet before me
a statement of itself drawn across the tempest of emblems
so that there is no sun and no unveiling
and no host
only I and then the sheet
and bulk dead




Dortmunder

Int  the magic the Homer dusk
past the red spire of sanctuary
I null she royal hulk
hasten to the violet lamp to the thin K'in music of the bawd.
She stands before me in the bright stall
sustaining the jade splinters
the scarred signaculum of purity quiet
the eyes the eyes black till the plagal east
shall resolve the long night phrase.
Then, as a scroll, folded,
and the glory of her dissolution enlarged
in me, Habbakuk, mard of all sinners.
Schopenhauer is dead, the bawd
puts her lute away.




Malacoda

thrice he cam
the undertaker's man
impassable behind his scrutal bowler
to measure
is he not paid to measure
this incorruptible in the vestibule
this malebranca knee deep in the lilies
Malacoda knee-deep in the lilies
Malacoda for all the expert awe
that felts his perineum mutes his signal
sighing up through the heavy air
must it be it must be it must be
find the weeds engage them in the garden
hear she may see she need not

to coffin
with assistant ungulata
find the weeds engage their attention
hear she must see she need not

to cover
to be sure cover cover all over
your targe allow me hold your sulphur
divine dogday glass set fair

stay Scarmilion stay stay
lay this Huysum on the box
mind the imago it is he
hear she must see she must
all aboard all souls
half-mast aye aye

nay





Echo's Bones

Asylum under my tread all this day
their muffled revels as the flesh falls
breaking without fear or favor wind
the gantelope of sense and nonsense run
taken by the maggots for what they are





Mort de A.D.

and there to be there still there
pressed against my old plank scabbed with black
days and nights blindly ground
to being there and to not fleeing and fleeing and being there
bent toward the avowal of time dying
of having been what was does what it did
to me to my friend dead yesterday gleaming eye
long teeth panting in his beard devouring
the life of saints a life by day of life
reliving in the night its black sins
dead yesterday while I lived
and to be there drinking above the storm
the guilt of time irremissible
gripping the old wood witness to departures
witness to returns






                                 a elle l'acte calme

to her the calm act
the savant pores the sex easygoing
waiting not too slow regretting not too long the absence
in the service of presence
a few tatters of azure in the head the points finally dead of the heart
all the tardy grace of a rain ceasing
at the fall of a night
of August

to her empty
him pure
of love






  bon bon il est un pays

all right all right there's a land
where forgetting where forgetting weighs
gently upon worlds unnamed
there the head we shush it the head is mute
and one knows no but one knows nothing
the song of dead mouths dies
on the shore it has made its voyage
there is nothing to mourn

my loneliness I know it oh well I know it badly
I have the time is what I tell myself I have time
but what time famished bone the time of the dog
of a sky incessantly paling my grain of sky
of the climbing ray ocellate trembling
of microns of years of darkness

you want me to go from A to B I cannot
I cannot come out I'm in a traceless land
yes yes it's a fine thing you've got there a mighty fine thing
what is that ask me no more questions
 spiral dust of instants what is this the same
 the calm the love the hate the calm the calm




Ascension

through the slim partition
this day when a child
prodigal in his own way
returned into the family
I hear a voice
it is excited it comments
on the football world cup

forever too young

meanwhile through the open window
over the air in a word
heavily
a sea swell of the faithful

her blood spurted in abundance
on the sheets on the sweet peas on her bloke
he closed the eyelids with filthy fingers
on the green eyes big with surprise

she lightly roams
over my tomb of air




La Mouche

between the scene and me
the glass
empty except for it

belly down
tied tight in its black guts
panicked antennas linked wings
hooked legs mouth emptily sucking
slicing the azure crashing against the invisible
under my powerless thumb it capsizes
the sea and the serene sky










Cascando


     1
why not merely the despaired of
occasion of
wordshed

is it not better abort than be barren

the hours after you are gone are so leaden
they will always start dragging too soon
the grapples clawing blindly the bed of want
bringing up the bones the old loves
sockets filled once with eyes like yours
all always is it better too soon than never
the black want splashing their faces
saying again nine days never floated the loved
nor nine months
nor nine lives

     2
saying again
if you do not teach me I shall not learn
saying again there is a last
even of last times
last times of begging
last times of loving
of knowing not knowing pretending
a last even of last times of saying
if you do not love me I shall not be loved
if I do not love you I shall not love

the churn of stale words in the heart again
love love love thud of the old plunger
pestling the unalterable
whey of words
terrified again
of not loving
of loving and not you
of being loved and not by you
of knowing not knowing pretending
pretending
I and all the others that will love you
if they love you

     3
unless they love you





Four Poems

1. Dieppe

again the last ebb
the dead shingle
the turning then the steps
toward the lighted town


2.

my way is in the sand flowing
between the shingle and the dune
the summer rain rains on my life
on me my life harrying fleeing
to its beginning to its end

my peace is there in the receding mist
when I may cease from treading these long shifting thresholds
and live the space of a door
that opens and shuts

3.

what would I do without this world faceless incurious
where to be lasts but an instant where every instant
spills in the void the ignorance of having been
without this wave where in the end
body and shadow together are engulfed
what would I do without this silence where the murmurs die
the pantings the frenzies towards succour towards love
without this sky that soars
above its ballast dust

what would I do what I did yesterday and the day before
peering out of my deadlight looking for another
wandering like me eddying far from all the living
in a convulsive space
among the voices voiceless
that throng my hiddenness

4.

I would like my love to die
and the rain to be falling on the graveyard
and on me walking the streets
mourning the first and last to love me







What is the word

folly –
folly for to –
for to –
what is the word –
folly from this –
all this –
folly from all this –
given –
folly given all this –
seeing –
folly seeing all this –
this –
what is the word –
this this –
this this here –
all this this here –
folly given all this –
seeing –
folly seeing all this this here –
for to –
what is the word –
see –
glimpse –
seem to glimpse –
need to seem to glimpse –
folly for to need to seem to glimpse –
what –
what is the word –
and where –
folly for to need to seem to glimpse what where –
where –
what is the word –
there –
over there –
away over there –
afar –
afar away over there –
afaint –
afaint afar away over there what –
what –
what is the word –
seeing all this –
all this this –
all this this here –
folly for to see what –
glimpse –
seem to glimpse –
need to seem to glimpse –
afaint afar away over there what –
folly for to need to seem to glimpse afaint afar away over there what –
what –
what is the word –

what is the word












Reviews of  The Collected Poems of Samuel Beckett, published by Grove Press, 2014.
  

The letters and poems of Samuel Beckett. By Paul Muldoon. The New York Times , December 12, 2014.


Dread States: Samuel Beckett’s Poems. By  Douglas Messerli   Hyperallergic , March 1, 2015.


Body Unlimited: The Incredible Poetry of Samuel Beckett. By  Jonathon Sturgeon. Flavor Wire | November 5, 2014















No comments:

Post a Comment