27/05/2022

Denise Levertov : 26 Poems

 






Everything that Acts Is Actual
 
 
From the tawny light
from the rainy nights
from the imagination finding
itself and more than itself
alone and more than alone
at the bottom of the well where the moon lives,  
can you pull me
 
into December? a lowland
of space, perception of space
towering of shadows of clouds blown upon
clouds over
                  new ground, new made
under heavy December footsteps? the only
way to live?
 
The flawed moon
acts on the truth, and makes  
an autumn of tentative
silences.
You lived, but somewhere else,
your presence touched others, ring upon ring,
and changed. Did you think  
I would not change?
 
                              The black moon
turns away, its work done. A tenderness,
unspoken autumn.  
We are faithful
only to the imagination. What the
imagination
             seizes
as beauty must be truth. What holds you
to what you see of me is
that grasp alone.
 



 
Pleasures
 
 
I like to find  
what's not found  
at once, but lies
 
within something of another nature,  
in repose, distinct.  
Gull feathers of glass, hidden
 
in white pulp: the bones of squid  
which I pull out and lay
blade by blade on the draining board—
 
       tapered as if for swiftness, to pierce  
       the heart, but fragile, substance
       belying design.               Or a fruit, mamey,
 
cased in rough brown peel, the flesh  
rose-amber, and the seed:
the seed a stone of wood, carved and
 
polished, walnut-colored, formed  
like a brazilnut, but large,
large enough to fill
the hungry palm of a hand.
 
I like the juicy stem of grass that grows
within the coarser leaf folded round,
and the butteryellow glow
in the narrow flute from which the morning-glory  
opens blue and cool on a hot morning.
 



 
The Sharks
 
Well then, the last day the sharks appeared.
Dark fins appear, innocent
as if in fair warning. The sea becomes
sinister, are they everywhere?
I tell you, they break six feet of water.
Isn't it the same sea, and won’t we
play in it any more?
I like it clear and not
too calm, enough waves
to fly in on. For the first time
I dared to swim out of my depth.
It was sundown when they came, the time
when a sheen of copper still the sea,
not dark enough for moonlight, clear enough
to see them easily. Dark
the sharp lift of the fins.
 
 


 
               
 
 
In Mind
 
There's in my mind a woman
of innocence, unadorned but
 
fair-featured, and smelling of
apples or grass.  She wears
 
a utopian smock or shift, her hair
is light brown and smooth, and she
 
is kind and very clean without
ostentation---
              but she has
no imagination.
               And there's a
turbulent moon-ridden girl
 
or old woman, or both,
dressed in opals and rags, feathers
 
and torn taffeta,
who knows strange songs---
 
but she is not kind.
 

 
 
Looking, Walking, Being
 
 
"The World is not something to
look at, it is something to be in."
-- Mark Rudman
 
I look and look.
Looking's a way of being: one becomes,
sometimes, a pair of eyes walking.
Walking wherever looking takes one.
 
The eyes
dig and burrow into the world.
They touch
fanfare, howl, madrigal, clamor.
World and the past of it,
not only
visible present, solid and shadow
that looks at one looking.
 
And language? Rhythms
of echo and interruption?
That's
a way of breathing.
 
breathing to sustain
looking,
walking and looking,
through the world,
in it.
 
 

 
The Secret
 
 
Two girls discover  
the secret of life  
in a sudden line of  
poetry.
 
I who don’t know the  
secret wrote  
the line. They  
told me
 
(through a third person)  
they had found it
but not what it was   
not even
 
what line it was. No doubt  
by now, more than a week  
later, they have forgotten  
the secret,
 
the line, the name of  
the poem. I love them  
for finding what  
I can’t find,
 
and for loving me  
for the line I wrote,  
and for forgetting it  
so that
 
a thousand times, till death  
finds them, they may  
discover it again, in other  
lines
 
in other  
happenings. And for  
wanting to know it,  
for
 
assuming there is  
such a secret, yes,  
for that  
most of all.
 

 
 
Hypocrite Women
 
 
Hypocrite women, how seldom we speak  
of our own doubts, while dubiously  
we mother man in his doubt!
 
And if at Mill Valley perched in the trees  
the sweet rain drifting through western air  
a white sweating bull of a poet told us
 
our cunts are ugly—why didn't we  
admit we have thought so too? (And  
what shame? They are not for the eye!)
 
No, they are dark and wrinkled and hairy,  
caves of the Moon ...          And when a  
dark humming fills us, a
 
coldness towards life,
we are too much women to  
own to such unwomanliness.
 
Whorishly with the psychopomp  
we play and plead—and say
nothing of this later.             And our dreams,
 
with what frivolity we have pared them  
like toenails, clipped them like ends of  
split hair.
 

Settling
 
 
I was welcomed here—clear gold
of late summer, of opening autumn,
the dawn eagle sunning himself on the highest tree,
the mountain revealing herself unclouded, her snow
tinted apricot as she looked west,
Tolerant, in her steadfastness, of the restless sun
forever rising and setting.
Now I am given
a taste of the grey foretold by all and sundry,
a grey both heavy and chill. I've boasted I would not care,
I'm London-born. And I won't. I'll dig in,
into my days, having come here to live, not to visit.
Grey is the price
of neighboring with eagles, of knowing
a mountain's vast presence, seen or unseen.






  



Denise Levertov reads six poems from her later collections, three from Evening Train (1992) and three later included in her posthumously published collection Sands of the Well (1998). This is an extract from an hour-long reading she gave for the Lannan Foundation in Los Angeles on 7 December 1993. The poems are: 'Settling', 'Open Secret', 'Tragic Error',  'The Danger Moment', 'A Gift' and 'For Those Whom the Gods Love Less', three of which were also included in her Selected Poems (New Directions, 2002), which was published in Britain as New Selected Poems  (Bloodaxe Books, 2003)

 

Bloodaxe Books




 
The Ache of Marriage
 
 
The ache of marriage:
 
thigh and tongue, beloved,  
are heavy with it,  
it throbs in the teeth
 
We look for communion
and are turned away, beloved,  
each and each
 
It is leviathan and we  
in its belly
looking for joy, some joy  
not to be known outside it
 
two by two in the ark of  
the ache of it.
 
 



 
The Mutes
 
 
Those groans men use
passing a woman on the street
or on the steps of the subway
 
to tell her she is a female
and their flesh knows it,
 
are they a sort of tune,
an ugly enough song, sung
by a bird with a slit tongue
 
but meant for music?
 
Or are they the muffled roaring
of deafmutes trapped in a building that is
slowly filling with smoke?
 
Perhaps both.
 
Such men most often
look as if groan were all they could do,
yet a woman, in spite of herself,
 
knows it's a tribute:
if she were lacking all grace
they'd pass her in silence:
 
so it's not only to say she's
a warm hole. It's a word
 
in grief-language, nothing to do with
primitive, not an ur-language;
language stricken, sickened, cast down
 
in decrepitude. She wants to
throw the tribute away, dis-
gusted, and can't,
 
it goes on buzzing in her ear,
it changes the pace of her walk,
the torn posters in echoing corridors
 
spell it out, it
quakes and gnashes as the train comes in.
Her pulse sullenly
 
had picked up speed,
but the cars slow down and
jar to a stop while her understanding
 
keeps on translating:
'Life after life after life goes by
 
without poetry,
without seemliness,
without love.'
 



 
Life at War


 
The disasters numb within us
caught in the chest, rolling
in the brain like pebbles. The feeling
resembles lumps of raw dough
 
weighing down a child's stomach on baking day.
Or Rilke said it, 'My heart. . .
Could I say of it, it overflows
with bitterness . . . but no, as though
 
its contents were simply balled into
formless lumps, thus
do I carry it about.'
The same war
 
continues.
We have breathed the grits of it in, all our lives,
our lungs are pocked with it,
the mucous membrane of our dreams
coated with it, the imagination
filmed over with the gray filth of it:
 
the knowledge that humankind,
 
delicate Man, whose flesh
responds to a caress, whose eyes
are flowers that perceive the stars,
 
whose music excels the music of birds,
whose laughter matches the laughter of dogs,
whose understanding manifests designs
fairer than the spider's most intricate web,
 
still turns without surprise, with mere regret
to the scheduled breaking open of breasts whose milk
runs out over the entrails of still-alive babies,
transformation of witnessing eyes to pulp-fragments,
implosion of skinned penises into carcass-gulleys.
 
 We are the humans, men who can make;
whose language imagines mercy,
lovingkindness; we have believed one another
mirrored forms of a God we felt as good—
 
who do these acts, who convince ourselves
it is necessary; these acts are done
to our own flesh; burned human flesh
is smelling in Viet Nam as I write.
 
Yes, this is the knowledge that jostles for space
in our bodies along with all we
go on knowing of joy, of love;
 
our nerve filaments twitch with its presence
day and night,
nothing we say has the not the husky phlegm of it in the saying,
nothing we do has the quickness, the sureness,
the deep intelligence living at peace would have.
 


Hymn To Eros
 
 
O Eros, silently smiling one, hear me.
Let the shadow of thy wings
brush me.
Let thy presence
enfold me, as if darkness
were swandown.
Let me see that darkness
lamp in hand,
this country become
the other country
sacred to desire.
 
Drowsy god,
slow the wheels of my thought
so that I listen only
to the snowfall hush of
thy circling.
Close my beloved with me
in the smoke ring of thy power,
that we way be, each to the other,
figures of flame,
figures of smoke,
figures of flesh
newly seen in the dusk.
 







 
The Room
 
 
With a mirror
I could see the sky.
 
With two mirrors or three
justly placed, I could see
the sun bowing to the evening chimneys.
 
Moonrise -the moon itself might appear
in a fourth mirror placed high
and close to the open window.
 
                   With enough mirrors within
and even without the room, a cantilever
supporting them, mountains
and oceans might be manifest.
 
I understand perfectly
that I could encounter my own eyes
too ofen -I take account
of the danger-
                     If the mirrors
are large enough, and arranged
with bravura, I can look
beyond my own glance.
 
With one mirror
how many stars could I see?
 
I don't want to escape, only to see
the enactment of rites.
 

 
 
The Well
 
At sixteen I believed the moonlight
could change me if it would.
I moved my head
on the pillow, even moved my bed
as the moon slowly
crossed the open lattice.
 
I wanted beauty, a dangerous
gleam of steel, my body thinner,
my pale face paler.
I moonbathed
diligently, as others sunbathe.
But the moon's unsmiling stare
kept me awake. Mornings,
I was flushed and cross.
 
It was on dark nights of deep sleep
that I dreamed the most, sunk in the well,
and woke rested, and if not beautiful,
filled with some other power.
 
 

 
The Broken Sandal
 
 
Dreamed the thong of my sandal broke.
Nothing to hold it to my foot.
How shall I walk?
                        Barefoot?
The sharp stones, the dirt. I would
hobble.
And–
Where was I going?
Where was I going I can't
go to now, unless hurting?
Where am I standing, if I'm
to stand still now?
 

 
 
 
Goodbye to Tolerance
 
 
Genial poets, pink-faced  
earnest wits—
you have given the world  
some choice morsels,
gobbets of language presented
as one presents T-bone steak
and Cherries Jubilee.  
Goodbye, goodbye,
                            I don’t care
if I never taste your fine food again,  
neutral fellows, seers of every side.  
Tolerance, what crimes
are committed in your name.
 
And you, good women, bakers of nicest bread,  
blood donors. Your crumbs
choke me, I would not want
a drop of your blood in me, it is pumped  
by weak hearts, perfect pulses that never  
falter: irresponsive
to nightmare reality.
 
It is my brothers, my sisters,
whose blood spurts out and stops
forever
because you choose to believe it is not your business.
 
Goodbye, goodbye,
your poems
shut their little mouths,  
your loaves grow moldy,  
a gulf has split
                     the ground between us,
and you won’t wave, you’re looking
another way.
We shan’t meet again—
unless you leap it, leaving  
behind you the cherished  
worms of your dispassion,  
your pallid ironies,
your jovial, murderous,  
wry-humored balanced judgment,
leap over, un-
balanced? ... then
how our fanatic tears
would flow and mingle  
for joy ...
 

 
 
 
Intrusion
 
After I had cut off my hands  
and grown new ones
 
something my former hands had longed for  
came and asked to be rocked.
 
After my plucked out eyes
had withered, and new ones grown
 
something my former eyes had wept for  
came asking to be pitied.
 



 
Wanting the Moon
 
 
Not the moon. A flower
on the other side of the water.
The water sweeps past in flood,
dragging a whole tree by the hair,
a barn, a bridge. The flower
sings on the far bank.
Not a flower, a bird calling
hidden among the darkest trees, music
over the water, making a silence
out of the brown folds of the river's cloak.
The moon. No, a young man walking
under the trees. There are lanterns
among the leaves.
Tender, wise, merry,
his face is awake with its own light,
I see it across the water as if close up.
A jester. The music rings from his bells,
gravely, a tune of sorrow,
I dance to it on my riverbank.
 
 

Talking to Grief
 
 
Ah, Grief, I should not treat you
like a homeless dog
who comes to the back door
for a crust, for a meatless bone.
I should trust you.
I should coax you
into the house and give you
your own corner,
a worn mat to lie on,
your own water dish.
You think I don't know you've been living
under my porch.
You long for your real place to be readied
before winter comes. You need
your name,
your collar and tag. You need
the right to warn off intruders,
to consider
my house your own
and me your person
and yourself
my own dog.
 

 
 
What My House Would Be Like If It Were A Person
 
 
This person would be an animal.
This animal would be large, at least as large
as a workhorse. It would chew cud, like cows,
having several stomachs.
No one could follow it
into the dense brush to witness
its mating habits. Hidden by fur,
its sex would be hard to determine.
Definitely it would discourage
investigation. But it would be, if not teased,
a kind, amiable animal,
confiding as a chickadee. Its intelligence
would be of a high order,
neither human nor animal, elvish.
And it would purr, though of course,
it being a house, you would sit in its lap,
not it in yours.
 
 

 
Prisoners
 
 
Though the road turn at last  
to death’s ordinary door,  
and we knock there, ready  
to enter and it opens
easily for us,
                     yet
all the long journey
we shall have gone in chains,  
fed on knowledge-apples  
acrid and riddled with grubs.
 
We taste other food that life,  
like a charitable farm-girl,  
holds out to us as we pass—
but our mouths are puckered,  
a taint of ash on the tongue.
 
It’s not joy that we’ve lost—
wildfire, it flares
in dark or shine as it will.
What’s gone
is common happiness,
plain bread we could eat
with the old apple of knowledge.
 
That old one—it griped us sometimes,  
but it was firm, tart,  
sometimes delectable ...
 
The ashen apple of these days
grew from poisoned soil. We are prisoners  
and must eat
our ration. All the long road
in chains, even if, after all,
we come to
death’s ordinary door, with time
smiling its ordinary
long-ago smile.
 
 



 
Seeing for a Moment
 
 
I thought I was growing wings—
it was a cocoon.
 
I thought, now is the time to step  
into the fire—
it was deep water.
 
Eschatology is a word I learned
as a child: the study of Last Things;
 
facing my mirror—no longer young,
       the news—always of death,
       the dogs—rising from sleep and clamoring  
            and howling, howling,
 
nevertheless
I see for a moment  
that's not it: it is  
the First Things.
 
Word after word
floats through the glass.  
Towards me.
 
 
 

 
Ikon: The Harrowing of Hell
 
 
Down through the tomb's inward arch
He has shouldered out into Limbo
to gather them, dazed, from dreamless slumber:
the merciful dead, the prophets,
the innocents just His own age and those
unnumbered others waiting here
unaware, in an endless void He is ending
now, stooping to tug at their hands,
to pull them from their sarcophagi,
dazzled, almost unwilling. Didmas,
neighbor in death, Golgotha dust
still streaked on the dried sweat of his body
no one had washed and anointed, is here,
for sequence is not known in Limbo;
the promise, given from cross to cross
at noon, arches beyond sunset and dawn.
All these He will swiftly lead
to the Paradise road: they are safe.
That done, there must take place that struggle
no human presumes to picture:
living, dying, descending to rescue the just
from shadow, were lesser travails
than this: to break
through earth and stone of the faithless world
back to the cold sepulchre, tearstained
stifling shroud; to break from them
back into breath and heartbeat, and walk
the world again, closed into days and weeks again,
wounds of His anguish open, and Spirit
streaming through every cell of flesh
so that if mortal sight could bear
to perceive it, it would be seen
His mortal flesh was lit from within, now,
and aching for home. He must return,
first, in Divine patience, and know
hunger again, and give
to humble friends the joy
of giving Him food—fish and a honeycomb.
 
 
 
 
 
Sojourns in the Parallel World
 
 
We live our lives of human passions,
cruelties, dreams, concepts,
crimes and the exercise of virtue
in and beside a world devoid
of our preoccupations, free
from apprehension—though affected,
certainly, by our actions. A world
parallel to our own though overlapping.
We call it "Nature"; only reluctantly
admitting ourselves to be "Nature" too.
Whenever we lose track of our own obsessions,
our self-concerns, because we drift for a minute,
an hour even, of pure (almost pure)
response to that insouciant life:
cloud, bird, fox, the flow of light, the dancing
pilgrimage of water, vast stillness
of spellbound ephemerae on a lit windowpane,
animal voices, mineral hum, wind
conversing with rain, ocean with rock, stuttering
of fire to coal—then something tethered
in us, hobbled like a donkey on its patch
of gnawed grass and thistles, breaks free.
No one discovers
just where we've been, when we're caught up again
into our own sphere (where we must
return, indeed, to evolve our destinies)
—but we have changed, a little.
 


Contraband
 
 
The tree of knowledge was the tree of reason.
That's why the taste of it
drove us from Eden. That fruit
was meant to be dried and milled to a fine powder
for use a pinch at a time, a condiment.
God had probably planned to tell us later
about this new pleasure.
                                  We stuffed our mouths full of it,
gorged on but and if and how and again
but, knowing no better.
It's toxic in large quantities; fumes
swirled in our heads and around us
to form a dense cloud that hardened to steel,
a wall between us and God, Who was Paradise.
Not that God is unreasonable – but reason
in such excess was tyranny
and locked us into its own limits, a polished cell
reflecting our own faces. God lives
on the other side of that mirror,
but through the slit where the barrier doesn't
quite touch ground, manages still
to squeeze in – as filtered light,
splinters of fire, a strain of music heard
then lost, then heard again.
 

 
For Those Whom the Gods Love Less
 
 
When you discover
your new work travels the ground you had traversed
decades ago, you wonder, panicked,
'Have I outlived my vocation? Said already
all that was mine to say?'
 
                                      There's a remedy -
only one - for the paralysis seizing your throat to mute you,
numbing your hands: Remember the great ones, remember Cezanne
doggedly sur le motif, his mountain
a tireless noonday angel he grappled like Jacob,
demanding reluctant blessing. Remember James rehearsing
over and over his theme, the loss
of innocence and the attainment
(note by separate note sounding its tone
until by accretion a chord resounds) of somber
understanding. Each life in art
goes forth to meet dragons that rise from their bloody scales
in cyclic rhythm: Know and forget, know and forget.
It's not only
the passion for getting it right (thought it's that, too)
it's the way
radiant epiphanies recur, recur,
consuming, pristine, unrecognized-
until remembrance dismays you. And then, look,
some inflection of light, some wing of shadow
is other, unvoiced. You can, you must
proceed.
 






Denise Levertov was born in Ilford, Essex, England, on October 24, 1923. Her father, raised a Hasidic Jew, had converted to Christianity while attending university in Germany. By the time Levertov was born, he had settled in England and become an Anglican parson. Her mother, who was Welsh, read authors such as Willa Cather, Joseph Conrad, Charles Dickens, and Leo Tolstoy aloud to the family. Levertov was educated entirely at home and claimed to have decided to become a writer at the age of five. When she was twelve, she sent some of her poetry to T. S. Eliot, who responded with two pages of "excellent advice" and encouragement to continue writing. At age seventeen she had her first poem published, in Poetry Quarterly.
 
During World War II, Levertov became a civilian nurse serving in London throughout the bombings. She wrote her first book, The Double Image, while she was between the ages of seventeen and twenty-one. The book, released in 1946, brought her recognition as one of a group of poets dubbed the "New Romantics."
 
In 1947 Levertov married Mitchell Goodman, an American writer, and a year later they moved to America. They settled in New York City, spending summers in Maine. Their son Nickolai was born in 1949. She became a naturalized U. S. citizen in 1956.
 
After her move to the U. S., Levertov was introduced to the Transcendentalism of Emerson and Thoreau, the formal experimentation of Ezra Pound, and, in particular, the work of William Carlos Willams. Through her husband's friendship with poet Robert Creeley, she became associated with the Black Mountain group of poets, particularly Creeley, Charles Olson, and Robert Duncan, who had formed a short-lived but groundbreaking school in 1933 in North Carolina. Some of her work was published in the 1950s in the Black Mountain Review. Levertov acknowledged these influences but disclaimed membership in any poetic school. She moved away from the fixed forms of English practice, developing an open, experimental style. With the publication of her first American book, Here and Now (1956), she became an important voice in the American avant-garde. Her poems of the fifties and sixties won her immediate and excited recognition, not just from peers like Creeley and Duncan, but also from the avant-garde poets of an earlier generation, such as Kenneth Rexroth and William Carlos Williams.
 
Her next book, With Eyes at the Back of our Heads (1959), established her as one of the great American poets, and her British origins were soon forgotten. She was poetry editor of The Nation magazine in 1961 and from 1963 to 1965. During the 1960s, activism and feminism became prominent in her poetry. During this period she produced one of her most memorable works of rage and sadness, The Sorrow Dance (1967), which encompassed her feelings toward the war and the death of her older sister. She received a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1969. From 1975 to 1978, she was poetry editor of Mother Jones magazine.
 
Levertov went on to publish more than twenty volumes of poetry, including The Freeing of the Dust (1975), which won the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize. She was also the author of four books of prose, most recently Tesserae (1995), and translator of three volumes of poetry, among them Jean Joubert's Black Iris (1989). From 1982 to 1993, she taught at Stanford University. She spent the last decade of her life in Seattle, during which time she published Poems 1968-1972 (1987), Breathing the Water (1987), A Door in the Hive (1989), Evening Train (1992), and The Sands of the Well (1996). On December 20, 1997, Levertov died from complications of lymphoma. She was seventy-four. New Directions published This Great Unknowing: Last Poems in 1999 and The Collected Poems of Denise Levertov in 2013.




 Internet sources for the poems :   











About the poetry by  Denise Levertov

 

Poetry Foundation 











No comments:

Post a Comment